“BUILDING REGIONAL SUCCESS: JCTC Carrollton Campus” will kick off its fund-raising efforts to secure $4 million dollars locally to match the $12 million allocated by the Kentucky General Assembly for a new Carrollton Campus for the Jefferson Community & Technical College with a reception and dinner on Thursday, June 26th, 2014, at the General Butler State Park Conference Center. Guests have been invited to hear first hand plans to build a state-of-the art 50,000 square foot dedicated college campus that will serve a six county region consisting of Carroll, Gallatin, Henry, Oldham, Owen and Trimble counties, on thirty (30) acres of land previously purchased for this facility on Highway 227 in Carroll County across from the entrance of the General Butler State Park.
“The project is a long time in coming,” explained Carroll County Judge Executive Harold “Shorty” Tomlinson. “ We established the Carrollton campus in 1990 and have outgrown the 12,500 square foot building that it rents from our local Carrollton College Education Foundation. We need to provide the education and training required for the jobs available from local businesses and industry and this new building will get that done.”
Funding for the regional facility is a result of an innovative proposal from the Kentucky Community & Technical College system (KCTCS) to the Governor and the 2014 Kentucky General Assembly which will allow KCTCS to issue agency bonds to construct a capital project for each of its sixteen (16) colleges. Termed “BuildSmart”, the terms of the legislation require 25% of the total scope of the approved project be raised by the local colleges before the agency bonds are issued for the remaining 75% of the project. Since the Carrollton campus project costs $16 million, $4 million must be raised locally. The bonds for the construction will be repaid through student fees of $4-$8.0 per credit hour beginning this fall.
Judge Tomlinson and local attorney Ruth H. Baxter are co-chairing the Campaign Steering Committee which also includes Dennis Goff, President of the Education Foundation and member and past chair of the JCTC Board of Directors; Mary Jean Riley, Vice President, North American Stainless; Larry Tarvestad, Dow Corning Carrollton Plant Manager; Vickie Edwards; Dennis Raisor, CPA; Bill Osborne, President of the Carroll County Community Development Corporation; Frank Downing, Retired CEO, Owen Electric Cooperative; and Marty Clark, 2014 JCTC Carrollton Campus graduate. Ex-Officio members of the committee include Representative Rick rand; Senator Paul Hornback; Dr. Tony Newberry, President/CEO, JCTCS; Lisa Brosky, JCTC Vice President and Susan Carlisle, Director, JCTC Carrollton campus.
“We have an ambitious fund-raising schedule,” stated Ruth Baxter. “Our building design plans are ready to go, and we want to dig dirt by the fall of 2015. To make this happen, we need our $4 million in hand by June 30, 2015. Our goal is to have students attending classes at the new campus for the fall 2016 term.”
Donors for the project have named giving opportunities for their donations for this new project. Gifts over $10,000.00 will result in naming rights for various components of the new facility. All donations are tax deductible.
“Depending upon the size of the donation,” Baxter explained, “the donor can name a classroom, testing center, laboratory, or even a wing of the facility. Pledges are being requested for the donations, with payment in full by June 30, 2015. This enables a giver to divide the gift over two tax years.”
For further information about the gift-giving opportunities, contact: Carroll County Judge Executive Harold “Shorty” Tomlinson (502) 732-7000 OR Ruth H. Baxter (502) 732-6688